General Knowledge True False #1

Try to guess whether these random statements are true or false.
Quiz by Quizmaster
Rate:
Last updated: October 13, 2020
First submittedOctober 13, 2020
Times taken12,388
Rating4.63
4:00
The quiz is paused. You have remaining.
Scoring
You scored / = %
This beats or equals % of test takers also scored 100%
The average score is
Your high score is
Your fastest time is
Keep scrolling down for answers and more stats ...
1. Chimpanzees have tails
True
False
2. The movie "The Wizard of Oz" is based on a book
True
False
3. The word "bacteria" is plural
True
False
The singular is bacterium
4. Canada is the world's largest country by area
True
False
Russia is larger
5. Margaret Thatcher was leader of the Labour Party
True
False
She was the leader of the Conservative Party
6. There are more trees than people on planet Earth
True
False
There are approximately 400 trees for every person
7. The Notre Dame cathedral in Paris has flying buttresses
True
False
8. Vampire bats are real
True
False
Vampire bats are native to the Americas and feed on blood
9. The speed of light is about 300,000 kilometers per hour
True
False
It is about 300,000 kilometers per second
10. Lambda is a Greek letter
True
False
11. Lobster is kosher
True
False
12. There are polar bears living in Antarctica
True
False
13. You can see Jupiter from Earth without a telescope
True
False
In fact, Jupiter is brighter than every star in the night sky
14. Less than 1% of the world's population is Jewish
True
False
Only an estimated 0.2% of people are Jewish
15. Jericho is located in Egypt
True
False
Jericho is in Palestine
16. Tahiti is an independent country
True
False
Tahiti is part of French Polynesia
17. Parrots can live longer than dogs
True
False
The oldest parrot on record lived to 82. The oldest dog lived to 29.
18. In his younger years, William Shakespeare was a pirate
True
False
+8
Level 79
Oct 14, 2020
I enjoy going thru and read the explanations after these multiple choice quizzes. Was surprised by the Jericho question, as our blessed and most holy Quizmaster generally avoids mentioning Palestine; instead favoring the sovereign nation it's contained within - Israel.
+3
Level 56
Nov 5, 2020
Palestine is closer to being a sovereign nation than French Polynesia is!
+21
Level 79
Oct 15, 2020
For the record, I'm sure that far more than 62% of people know that the speed of light is 300,000 km/s. The other 38%, like me, didn't read the whole question and didn't notice the sneaky "per hour" at the end.
+5
Level 64
Oct 15, 2020
Yep. Sucker punched by that.
+2
Level 68
Oct 15, 2020
Yes, very sneaky. Luckily I saw this and answered correct - unlike the 40% that didn't.
+4
Level 51
Oct 15, 2020
Ironically enough, as a physics student I'm used to seeing everything in metres/second, so I put down the answer as false because I saw it in kilometres, and still got it right :P
+1
Level 71
Nov 7, 2020
Two wrongs make a right?
+1
Level 67
Nov 7, 2020
Me too 🤦‍♂️
+1
Level 32
Nov 8, 2020
Yep. Looks like I am not the only one. 😅
+1
Level 56
Nov 8, 2020
Just missed the kosher one, something about them crawling along the sea floor right?

There are more trees on Earth than there are stars in the Milky Way...

+1
Level 46
Nov 8, 2020
Lobsters are shellfish, which is why they're not kosher. According to the Torah, you are only permitted to eat fish that have "both fins and scales to be eaten".
+2
Level 65
Nov 8, 2020
I know this because I remember the Seinfeld episode where George gets revenge on Jerry's girlfriend who keeps kosher by sneaking lobster into her eggs.
+1
Level 46
Nov 9, 2020
Only reason why I got it!
+1
Level 21
Nov 9, 2020
I'm pretty sure that Notre Dame no longer has flying buttresses, or anything strictural. It burnt down.
+1
Level 20
Nov 9, 2020
I'm still confused how about half the people playing this quiz think that the speed of light is 300,000 km/hr.