History by Letter - A

Name these historical people, places, and things beginning with the letter A.
Quiz by Geoguy
Last updated: June 19, 2019
First submittedMay 18, 2014
Times taken56,705
Enter answer here
 / 22 guessed
The quiz is paused. You have remaining.
You scored / = %
This beats or equals % of test takers also scored 100%
The average score is
Your high score is
Your fastest time is
Keep scrolling down for answers and more stats ...
First man on the Moon
Neil Armstrong
"Great" conqueror of Persia
Philosopher who tutored the above
Winning side of WWII
Losing side of WWII
Country that joined with Castille
Second President of the U.S.
John Adams
First person to reach the South Pole
Roald Amundsen
Hun called the "Scourge of God"
Founding father of modern Turkey
Mustafa Kemal
Capital of the Khmer Empire,
famous for its "Wat"
Mesopotamian empire from
2500 BC to 605 BC
Civilization whose capital
was Tenochtitlan
System of segregation that
Nelson Mandela fought against
Country invaded by the USSR in 1979
Muhammad's successor (to Shiites)
Greek inventor who cried "Eureka!"
Roman emperor born Gaius Octavius
Saintly author of "Confessions"
Augustine of
Former name of Ethiopia
Tribe that gave its name to England
Capital of the Mughal Empire and
site of the Taj Mahal
Level 35
May 21, 2014
Level 67
May 22, 2014
This was a good quiz.
Level 67
May 23, 2014
Only missed the successor of Muhammad... and tried so many names like Abdulllah,etc..
Level 47
May 24, 2014
Only got Ali because I can't spell Allies. Still didn't get Allies. Oops.
Level 53
May 24, 2014
Great quiz!
Level 36
Jun 14, 2014
Great quiz! Dumb question though: wasn't it the Saxons that gave England its name?
Level 53
Jul 11, 2014
Then it would be "Saxonia" or something like that. Think of it as Anglo-Saxon, Angles, Angle-land, England.
Level 67
Nov 18, 2019
The names sussex essex and wessex Are from the saxons (south, east, west saxon)
Level 54
Feb 6, 2020
The non English nations of the British Isles do call them after the Saxons - they're Saes in Welsh and Sassenach in Gaelic.
Level 65
Jul 31, 2020
Too bad this quiz ain't conducted in Gaelic innit.
Level 69
Jul 11, 2014
This entire series is awesome! I got all of 'em.
Level 88
Aug 22, 2016
Got my sects crossed, kept trying variants of Abu Bakar.
Level 83
Aug 22, 2016
Yep, Shiites are Ali Bakr's not Abu Bakr's
Level 58
Aug 23, 2016
Could also have 2nd man on the Moon (Aldrin)
Level 46
Sep 3, 2016
Only 73% of quiz takers knew that John Adams was the second president?! The other 27% better not be American...
Level 77
Oct 9, 2016
Maybe they are. Not everyone's American. Having said that, I'm British and I knew it.
Level 60
Jan 7, 2018
69% actually
Level 46
Jan 11, 2017
Isn't it supposed to be Anglo, not Angle? Angle is more of geometry, don't you think?
Level 74
Feb 1, 2017
The tribe was not the "Anglos", it was the "Angles".
Level 37
Aug 15, 2017
I was taught that it was Anglo-Saxon, not Angle-Saxon. And that the "Anglo" part became England and the "Saxon" part France.
Level 70
Sep 2, 2017
Not quite correct there, see: http://listverse.com/2016/06/28/10-overlooked-facts-about-the-anglo-saxons/
Level 37
Jul 27, 2018
USSR didnt invade afghanistan but came to help the legitimate government who called for help fighting the taliban.
Level 69
Apr 2, 2019
They also defended the legitimate governments of Hungary and Czechoslovakia from imperialist counter-revolutionary activity in 1956 and 1968 respectively.
Level 41
Apr 17, 2019
No. Read "The Broken Circle" a book I randomly found on Amazon Kindle, and you will see this invasion in a whole new light.
Level 72
Aug 16, 2019
Wow, no women.
Level 81
Oct 25, 2019
why wow?
Level 45
Oct 25, 2019
Please accept Abyssnia.
Level 45
Jan 18, 2020
Some how got Abyssinia when guessing for Assyria lol. Didn't expect to get a lot of these.